The Database Programmer is responsible for maintenance of the Press’s FileMaker database system and its integration with enterprise systems. This position reports to the IT Software Engineer / Senior Analyst.
The position maintains and troubleshoots all regularly scheduled reporting and other automated database activity on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis. Consults and communicates with on-site and remote database users to fix reported problems and provide user support. Under supervision of the IT Software Engineer / Senior Analyst, the Database Programmer designs, writes, documents, and tests new database features and updates. Monitors and optimizes performance of multiple FileMaker servers. Keeps job knowledge of FileMaker Pro and related systems up-to-date through self-study and professional contacts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual clients and with other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
- Arranges project requirements in programming sequence by analyzing requirements; preparing a work flow chart and diagram using knowledge of database capabilities, subject matter, programming language, and logic.
- Develops and maintains databases by encoding project requirements in computer language; entering coded information into the computer.
- Confirms database operation by conducting tests; modifying program sequence and/or codes.
- Provides reference for use of database applications and servers by writing and maintaining user documentation; maintaining a help desk.
- Maintains database systems and programming guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Develops and maintains applications and databases by evaluating client needs; analyzing requirements; developing software systems.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- One year of related work experience with computer systems and applications required. Additional education may substitute for experience.
- At least two years’ experience in FileMaker Pro development preferred.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytic, and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.Click here to apply for this position